How is SoBo different
- FUN. Life is more enjoyable when you have a positive attitude.
- THE GOLDEN RULE. We treat everyone with respect. We believe in being open and honest at all times. We believe in treating people fairly. We believe in doing the right thing.
- BALANCE. We believe a key to happiness and fulfillment is living a healthy balanced lifestyle. This includes taking care of yourself, your family, and giving back to the community.
OUR DESIGN/BUILD VALUES
- The key to our designs is that we listen to you. We believe that you should have ample opportunity to dream and iterate with us in sculpting your home. We incorporate your ideas into everything we design.
- Your home must flow properly to be successful. We spend a considerable amount of time with each design to create a floorplan that is easy to live with.
- Every square foot should be used wisely.
- Open and bright public spaces are inviting and feel generous.
- Secluded private spaces feel comfortable, intimate, and relaxing.
- Any additional or remodeled spaces need to be in proportion with the rest of your house.
- We always strive to accentuate your property’s virtues and eliminate its shortcomings. You will help us decide what these are.
- We are huge advocates for outdoor spaces that blur the lines between inside and outside.
- Money is always a major part of the process. We consider ourselves to be your personal home advocates. We work to empower you with ideas and costs so that you can make smart financial decisions.
MAKING YOUR HOME AS GREEN AS POSSIBLE
- We pay holistic attention to your home’s energy use (heat, insulation, solar, appliances, etc.).
- As building envelopes get tighter, indoor air quality becomes more important. We highly recommend integrating an Energy Recovery Ventilator (such as this one) into any home that's well sealed.
- We want you and your family’s home to be a healthy place to live and grow.
- We believe one of the most environmentally conscious things you can do with a major addition/remodel is to keep the square footage sensible. We advocate for efficient use of space to keep heating/cooling loads as low as possible.
- We consider ourselves to be the stewards of your home while we’re working on it. We treat your property like it belongs to a family member.
- That means it is clean and safe at all times. It also means we are respectful to your property and your neighbors. In the end, we want your home to work well, age gracefully, and be low maintenance.
- Success in construction is based on 4 things: Schedule, Budget, Quality, & Client Satisfaction. The latter is only achieved if the first 3 are met.
Waste and Energy Reduction
- Waste and Energy Reduction
We partnered up with PACE and Boulder County to help us reach 0 emissions by 2050, which we are on track to achieve, thanks to XCEL’s greening of the grid and us eliminating natural gas use. They’re also helping us track our waste diversion. City of Boulder’s goal is to have an 85% diversion rate from garbage by 2025. We are currently at 75%. Here are the ways we are doing this, in addition to curbside single-stream recycling and composting:
- 90% of office food comes from waste-free Nude Foods
- Converted to recycled paper products, including toilet paper and printer paper
- Using cloths and towels instead of disposable paper towels
- Ordering to-go food through DeliverZero, who uses reusable containers with partnering restaurants
- Subscription with Ridwell, which provides a recycling/repurposing outlet for so many different hard-to-recycle items, including styrofoam, plastic films and wrappers, batteries, lightbulbs, fabrics, and so much more.
- Replaced old, debilitated gas furnace with electric air source heat pump.
- Replaced old gas water heater with small electric water heater.
- Added an ERV (Energy Recovery Ventilator) to the building to keep air quality high and energy consumption low.
- Replaced old single pane windows with new high performance windows.
- Landscaped to add plant life and tree canopy to improve the environment around the building.
- Low use irrigation system.
- Added bike lockers to promote riding to work.
- Job site recycling
- Untreated wood, dimensional wood, plywood, engineered wood
- For organizations and causes that are important to us, we put our money where our mouth is.
- Organizations that we regularly support:
- Garden Tour (Garden to Table/Growe Foundation)
- Walk and Bike Month/Community Cycles
- Other causes we support:
- ALS Association
- Leukemia society
- Dana Farber
- Boulder Creative Collective
- St. Baldrick’s Foundation
- Help Hope Live
- Children’s Hospital
- Black Lives Matter
- Southern Poverty Law Center
Local schools and sports:
- GRUPY (GrassRoots Ultimate Program for Youth)
- Creekside Elementary
- Fairview High School Lacrosse